Monday, April 4, 2011

The Legacy

April 4

On this day in 1968 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot in Memphis, TN. Once again, other than our friends in Arizona, this event was one that will be talked about as long as there is racial strain within this country. I can't even begin to go into the conspiracy theories around this killing, but although the man may have been killed on this day, his legacy lived on, despite the actions of Jesse Jackson afterward. Yes, good ol Jesse thought he would not let an opportunity slip by, he allegedly went to where King was killed, smeared blood on his clothes and claimed that King died in his arms, which was a lie. He was in the hotel parking lot at the time of the killing.  I hope I have friends like that! U2 memorialized King in their song "Pride" with the lyric "Early morning, April 4, shot rings out in the Memphis sky." Next time I hope Bono does a little better job researching, because King was killed a little after 6 p.m. Perhaps Bono was thinking it was early morning for himself?
On a side note, on this day in 1964 the Beatles held the top 5 positions of the singles chart. Then as it is now, teenagers drive the record industry. So anyone who complains about the crappy pop songs on the radio needs to 1. Ask themselves how old they are. 2. If they are older than a teenager turn off said station and shut up 3. If they are a teenager or younger they should realize they've already bucked the trend and listen to Arcade Fire or The Shins quick! For Damn near 60 years it has been the youth who set the trends. I'm 30 and I hate what the kids listen to. That's the way it's supposed to be. My dad hated my music. I'm sure his dad hated his music. I hate my wife's music. But that's a different story all together

No comments:

Post a Comment