Tuesday, April 5, 2011

All filler, no killer

April 5

John Rolfe married Pocahontas on this day. Big whoop. George Washington became the first president to utilize his veto in 1792. Was bound to happen sooner or later. Did you know there was a battle of Yorktown during the civil war too? I didn't, therefore it probably wasn't important. Gandhi did some shit to piss the British off in 1930. But he was more of a big picture guy anyway. (edit) No, the highlight of the day is once again someone being killed. Let's go with Kurt Cobain committing suicide on this day in 1994. Although his body wasn't discovered until the 8th, it was on this day where he took his own life. This is one of those events of such cultural significance that it in one way or another it affected millions. I realize I'm extremely biased, but I believe this to be true. It raised suicide awareness at the very least. My obsession with Nirvana started nearly a year later. I was embarrassed to say this early on. Right now I don't have a problem with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment