Saturday, September 24, 2011

I'm worst at what I do best, and for this gift I feel blessed.

September 24th
On this day in 1991 Nirvana released their landmark album Nevermind. The first run of 50,000 copies were thought to be the limit for this three piece, but the single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a little bit more successful than anyone thought it would be. It was supposed to be a song that introduced the band to the masses and the song "Come as You Are" was supposed to be the "big hit". Interesting fact that also on this day in 1991 while on tour in Europe, Kurdt Cobain's items were tossed out on the street because he didn't pay his rent. Friends and neighbors had to go out and save it for him. If you know anything about me than you know that this is more than just my favorite band. It's an obsession that's lasted over half my life. I used to be kind of embarrassed to tell people that they were my favorite band. Probably more out of insecurity in myself, but I didn't want to have something that I loved so much ridiculed just because I said I liked it. Now I don't care what people think, they can't affect my feelings. I know that I've never met anyone else who is as big of a fan of this band, meaning everyone else likes something more than Nirvana. OBTW, check out the live at the Paramont Theater DVD/Blu ray, it is a wonderful concert, way better than I even thought it would be!

On this day in 1964 the Warren Commission delivered its findings to president Lyndon Johnson on the Kennedy assassination. President Johnson put together a group of men whose sole purpose was finding out everything they could about the murder of Kennedy. The findings are inconclusive on whether Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone or not, but it proves without a shadow of a doubt that Oswald did shoot the president from the fourth story of the Texas School Book Depository. There were some very prominent men on the commission including future president Gerald Ford.

On this day in 1789 the Supreme Court of the United States of America comes into being by the order of president George Washington. It is the third branch of the United States government designed on checks and balances to keep it running and to prevent one part from making decisions against the best interests of the people of this country. Although scrutinized at first for the lifelong term for the members of the court, it has proven to be a very effective means of lawmaking throughout the history of its existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment