Monday, May 9, 2011

Go watch Battlefield Earth and get back to me

May 9th
On this day in 1950 L. Ron Hubbard released Dianetics, thus giving birth to scientology. It filled a clear void in the self help section of book stores and threatened the establishment of the mental health community. Let's not forget that the lobotomy and electro-shock treatment were still being used to treat mental illness. Interesting concept by Mr. Hubbard, but he was a bit out there. His deciples took everything he wrote about and created with his "church" and have gone a little crazy.  I wish I were rich one day to join that cult, er, religion.
One of the saddest days of my youth occurred on this day in 1998. I was getting ready to graduate high school, spring was in the air, I was still scarred of girls, and I was unemployed. On a lonely night spent by myself in my room I watched Saturday Night Live in horror when Jimmy Page took the stage with Puff Daddy and performed this festering turd:

No comments:

Post a Comment