Thursday, March 31, 2011

Please allow myself to introduce...myself.

The goal of this blog is for me to put my own spin on this day in history. Anyone can google "this day in history" and find a long list of events that occurred on this day going back to the dawn of recorded history. Yawn! Only geeks like me would enjoy reading that crap. So I'm here to do the sifting and put down only the most important events of this day and tell you why I think that this particular event was most noteworthy. Some days are better than others, so there might be a tie, but for the most part I'll keep it short. Perhaps I'll throw a birthday or musical milestone if I'm feeling ambitious. I posted a link to the history channel website and an obscure day in music site in case anyone doubts my sources.

March 31st

The History Channel page lists the inauguration of Eiffel's Tower in 1889 as the top event. I disagree. I'm going with daylight savings going into effect on this day in 1918. Spring ahead! I lose an hour of sleep! But instead of getting dark at 6, it gets dark at 7. More time to do things outdoors, like mow the lawn, go for a walk, plant various things in the ground in the hopes they produce flowers/fruit. Yes, the farmer once again put his/her stamp on our society. Students get summer vacation and spring break because of farmers, they should also thank them for daylight savings. Except for Arizona, those quirky folks are always bucking the trends. Whether it's celebrating MLK day (or not), or randomly asking people to prove their citizenship, Arizona is always up to something.
On a side note, Jimi Hendrix lit his guitar on fire for the first time on this day in 1967. He perfected it at Altamont, but you have to start somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say the Hendrix note is the best thing to happen on this day. "Light my fire". My fav. Jimi lyric before a solo is: "Oh move over rover, and let Jimi take over".

    ReplyDelete